Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Finding the Gospel in WHAT??

One of my favorite ways to kill a few hours is to browse through our local Christian bookstores. Sometimes I am in search of a specific title that I have heard about and others I am just hoping that in some supernatural way the Theology sections doubled. (I feel a soap box coming on, so let's get back on track.)

In one of my recent jaunts into 'Book-Land', I spotted book after book telling me how to find the Gospel in any manner of movie that is out today. I saw books that would point me to Christ from Harry Potter. Ways to find my Savior running around with hobbits in the Lord of the Rings. And of course the not so hidden gospel of Narnia.

Whoa! Don't close me down yet...I am not here to slam or uphold any of these movies. Where my problem comes in is that the Gospel of my Lord and Savior is not in any movie, it is in His Word. Hear me out for a sec.

We don't need any extra coating to get the Gospel out. The Gospel is finished in the form it is in. Jude put it this way, "I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints." (Jude 3b) It's done. It needs no help from us.

Think on this...If we alter the message that was handed down "once for all" in ANY way, no matter how good our intentions may be, we change what the perfect and holy God handed to us. I don't know about you, but I'm not capable of improving perfection.

Changing or sugar-coating the Gospel is nothing new. Paul faced it. In fact he wrote to the Galatian church, "If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!" (Galatians 1:9)

You don't need to seek Christ in the likes of Hollywood cinema, you need to seek Christ in the Bible.

Sola Scriptura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home