Friday, April 21, 2006

My God....


A few months ago, I had the opportunity to discuss religions with a young lady who had, to say the least, some very disturbing views. To begin with she held that Buddhist and Muslims had as much authority to their religions as Christians do. What she meant by this was that these people had as much right and opportunity to reach heaven as Christians do. Because deep down they are all good people who worship "god" in their own way.

I put the brakes on the conversation, and asked, "Where do you get this?" Her answer was that 'Her God' wouldn't allow people to go to hell just for worshiping Him under another name. I pressed her further, "Where do you get this?" (See a pattern here?) Her answer about knocked me out of the chair I was sitting in.

She said, 'Oh, it's in the Bible somewhere.'

There's the rub. That's where the problem is and the problem is prevalent not only among the lost and dying, but sad to say, it is creeping further and further into main-stream evangelical churches today.

If you cannot quote chapter and verse to support your view of God, do you realize what you have done? You have created a god that is NOT in the Bible. You have created an idol and violated the first commandment. God Himself tells us in Exodus 20:4, "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water below."

Now I am not saying that you have to know every bit of Scripture before you can have an idea of Who God is. There are kids in our AWANA program that can quote more Scripture verses than I can. What I am saying is that if you cannot back up your theology with the Bible then you have a man-centered theology. You have a theology that is based on touchy-feely opinions that make you sleep better at night with your sin.

When you have questions about the nature of God and what He wants and who He is, look to His Word to get your answers. If you can't find them ask someone. Not necessarily me, but a pastor or spiritual leader in your life. But let me warn you, if they start out with 'I think...', or 'In my opinion...', be wary. If they can't back up their thoughts or opinions with Scripture, then they are just as guilty of creating an idol out of their 'god'.

Sola Scriptura

2 Comments:

Blogger abamaguy said...

I was just thumbing through the next blog button and came across your blog! Great stuff you have here. I am a youth pastor in South Carolina! I totally agree with your post here. I once had a mentor tell me, " you dont know what you dont know." I see it so much with this generation of youth. There are so easy to accept anything as gospel but not so easily able to tell one where it came from. We have a large duty ahead of us as youth pastors. But, guess thats is why we have beeen called!

7:17 AM  
Blogger TxSkypilot said...

Good stuff Chip!

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home