Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A Rose by Any Other Name


My background educationally speaking is in chemistry and physics, so I have no idea who to attribute the saying to, but I will quote it anyway. "A rose by any other name is still a rose."

I can run into a garden and point to the red flower with a thorny stem and say "Pharphenoogen", but that doesn't change the fact that it is a rose. I can give my wife a vase with a dozen of them in it and say, "Here honey, have a dozen coozats!", but they are still roses.

But, does that take away from the effect of the flower of love? Does it in some way belittle it? Okay, I know it sounds like a stupid question, but let get where I'm going with it first.

I was at a Scouting event last night and at the closing ceremony the Scouts all recite the following, "May the great master of all Scouts watch over us until we meet again." Now I know most of the Scout leaders in the troop and they are not only Scout leaders, but leaders in their Christian churches. I am sure (though I have not asked) that in their minds and in the minds of most of the Scouts, they equate "great master of all Scouts" with the God of the Universe.

My question is, that in an attempt to be politically correct and not offend some non-Christian Scouts, are they offending the Creator of the Universe?

I have heard people refer to Him as 'The Big Guy upstairs' or 'You-know-who' or other generic, politically correct names. There are many names for Him laid out in the Bible, but none of them are belittling or generic. They all speak of His power or His presence, and all are spoken in reverence and awe...not flippantly and off-the-cuff.

God is to be high and lifted up. He is supremely high and we are completely and utterly low. And any attempt to narrow that gap either exalts us as humans or belittles Him as our Lord, either of which is SIN.

When you speak of our Lord and Savior, call Him by name. Give Him the honor of using His name and confess Him before men. Jesus tells us in Matthew 10:32-33, "Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven."

You don't want to be at the judgment seat saying, 'Yeah, when I said that, I really meant You, but in a good way...not the way it sounded...' Think about it!

Sola Scriptura

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet . . . " Ah, 'tis from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. :-)

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home